Lakes of the Ozarks
Table Rock Lake
|Table Rock Lake is
the second reservior in the White River chain of lakes. The
dam was constructed in 1958, creating a lake that has 745
miles of shoreline. Table Rock's bottom was not cleared of
trees so it's full of structure for fish to hold on. It's full
of old cedars and hardwoods. In as much as 60 feet of water
you'll find oaks peeping out of the waters' surface. It has
shear-wall bluffs and slooping points, deep, rocky coves and
pea gravel banks (all the fish habitats you'll need to keep
you busy all day).
There are several major arms of Table Rock Lake- James River and Flat Creek coming from the north and the Springfield watershed and the White and Kings Rivers from the south-Fayetteville, Arkansas watershed. And then there's the Long Creek arm, also in the south but entering on the eastern side and the Harrison, Arkansas watershed.
|Lake Taneycomo is a man-made lake or reservoir on the
White River in the Ozark Mountains of Taney County, Missouri.
The reservoir is named for the county in which it is located:
Taney County, MO.
Lake Taneycomo originated when the White River was confined by the completion of the Powersite Dam, near Forsyth, Missouri. The Powersite Dam is privately owned by The Empire District Electric Company. From 1913 until 1958 it was a warm water lake. In the 1930s, tourists began to be drawn to the lake and its nearby communities, Branson and Rockaway Beach.
The completion of Table Rock Dam in 1958 changed the source of
water to Taneycomo from that of the White River's flowing
waters to the bottom tailwater of Table Rock Lake from the dam
spillway and made
Lake Taneycomo offers a variety of recreational activities including hiking, sightseeing, hunting, fishing, swimming, scuba diving, boating, and water skiing. People accessing Lake Taneycomo are able to visit area restaurants, hotels, shopping, and shows in the Branson area.
Bull Shoals Lake
Shoals Lake is an artificial lake or reservoir in the
Ozark Mountains of northern Arkansas and southern Missouri. It has hundreds of miles of lake
arms and coves perfect for boating, water sports, swimming,
and fishing. Nineteen developed parks around the shoreline
provide campgrounds, boat launches, swim areas, and marinas.
Bull Shoals Dam was created to impound the White River by one of the largest concrete dams in the United States and the 5th largest dam in the world at its inception. Work on the dam began in 1947, was completed in 1951 and dedicated by President Truman in 1952. At least seven small family cemeteries and 20 larger cemeteries were meticulously relocated to accommodate the new lake.
Bull Shoals Lake impounds the White River for the last time as water travels toward its mouth on the Mississippi River. Bull Shoals is thus the lake farthest downstream in a chain of four artificial lakes that include (from upstream to downstream) Beaver Lake, Table Rock Lake and Lake Taneycomo. The lake is controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers and has the primary purpose of flood control. The level of the lake fluctuates regularly with a normal pool level elevation of 654 feet above sea level, which is locally known as powerpool. However, the lake regularly fluctuates between an elevation of 630 to 680 feet. The shoreline of the lake is totally undeveloped and protected by a buffer zone (locally called the "take line") owned, operated, managed, and controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers. The dam is designed for a maximum elevation of 695 feet (top of the flood pool). Bull Shoals Lake covers 45,000 acres with a 700 mile shoreline at powerpool to more than 70,000 acres with a 1,000 mile shoreline at 690 feet. The bottom of the lake consists of bedrock with very limited vegetation. The shoreline is heavily forested.
Bull Shoals-White River State Park is a 725 acre park both above and below the massive dam. Facilities, including camping, pavilions, dock and interpretive programs, stretch along the banks of the White River. Along the lakeshore, the park offers picnic sites and playgrounds.